Friday, February 18, 2011

Life as far as I know it...

So, in deciding to do this I have had to wrestle with the idea that there is a possibility that nobody will read this. After this struggle of olympian size I have decided that I don't care if nobody does read this. But if you are reading this I am resolved to the fact that you are somebody and that you are AWESOME! I have been thinking lately how odd life is. If you would have asked me after graduating from high school where I would be at this point in time I would have told you not in Kansas!

This really blog is really to chronical my experiences in Culinary School and to let everyone out there know that what you see on TV is so not how being a chef is like.

So far in school we have covered lots of tool terms. (The thing you call a whisk is actually a WHIP...start calling it by the right name!) We started cooking two weeks ago and we have covered the building blocks of cuisine. What does that consist of? Here is a list...

White Stock
Brown Stock
and the five master sauces

The important thing to remember with stock is to use the good stuff. With brown stock if you use beef or lamb bones you can use tomato paste, you don't have to use wine...the flavor is different using tomato paste it actually gives a more earthy flavor.

When we did the five master sauces for some odd reason I thought they would be all tasty, this was so not the case! Only the master sauce of Tomato tasted like something I would want to eat...this is why these five master sauces have variations that the french like to call small sauces. And these are what we actually use to serve you, the dining public.

I think this is all for now until next time! We will be covering soups and food-born illnesses...so exciting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love this - master vs small sauces - what a concept.
    Love this. Keep it going!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete