Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A most Egg-cellent day

Ok, I know it isn't Monday and I really wish that I could have posted yesterday but other things needed my time and they are more important.
So I went into food lab really hesitant. We are doing breakfast food and more importantly we were doing eggs. Eggs are my arch-nemisis. I am slightly allergic to them which means that if I eat them you don't want to be around me 30-45 minutes later. It also means that I can't taste them or test their texture or any of that which made me really nervous. There was one egg style that I was not looking forward to making because I had never heard of it and that is the style of 'Basted Egg' it turns out that it is really really really easy and that like normal I made a mountain out of a mole hill. I made 4 different styles of eggs: over-easy, sunny side-up, classic french rolled omelette, and the basted egg (Also known by all old people as country style).

As I go through class I find myself being really happy on knowing how to make clarified butter because that is what we use all the time. It is cheaper than oil and gives a better flavor than oil can ever hope to. Speaking of oil, little tip. Olive Oil is not the best 'I use this for everything' oil, true it is healthier but it also has a strong flavor and aroma. Hence why salad dressings used canola oil because that is actually the 'I use this for everything' oil. If you don't believe me take a whiff. Now I personally love olive oil and I do use it for everything but that is because I wish I was Italian with flowing dark wavy hair...back on topic!

So because we were having breakfast day yesterday we also made buttermilk pancakes and chef brought in his own bacon and sausage. It was all really good but after eating 2 strips of bacon and 1 sausage patty I really needed a drink of water. Way way way salty but in a good way. I learned from chef that when making pancakes NEVER use the spatula to press down on the pancakes, something my Mother told me always to do. It makes them dense because you pressed out all the nice warm air that is helping them cook and to stay fluffy. So back to the eggs. I learned how to flip an egg over-easy without the help of a spatula. I know most people can do this but like I said above eggs are my enemy. The key is to keep it loose. The egg must be loose from the pan, you have to be loose from inhibition, do not freak out. Chef was helping me master this and it made me laugh, I would retell it here but you can only read the actions not see them and that is unfortunate. If you haven't guessed already I really like Chef Todd, he doesn't mind that you mess up and he gives praise were praise is due and doesn't make everything like sunshine and rainbows. I left class yesterday on cloud 9 why? I flipped an egg, mastered all egg techniques, had homemade bacon and sausage, and chef told me that I "rocked it" that day. I think I could not have asked for a better start to the week!

Now on toward the next topic which is salads and sandwiches...Reuben time!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog! A funny comment on the oil thing. I also love olive oil. However the other day I was making a brownish mix (cheating I know) and didn't have any vegetable oil. So I used manila oil. Grossest thing ever! Anyway. Keep blogging. I love reading it and I am learning something!

    ReplyDelete