Monday, March 28, 2011

Scaled back today

Today, wow what to say...I really wasn't looking forward to today's food lab. Why? Because today was the day that I watched as two helplessly dead fish eyes watched me as I fileted itself. I was really not looking forward to it. If I say this enough maybe you will understand how much I didn't want to do this. I grew up in Kansas, so give me a break if I have never really enjoyed anything that comes from the sea, river, lake, or basically any body of water. Someday I might live somewhere where I will and this is why I am glad that I learned this lesson today. So being in this state of hesitancy I took my boning knife and went to work and it turned out that I was a natural! Chef made a joke about how this was like the time in his life when he was a professional assassin. He quit not because he was bad at it but because he didn't like killing people. I don't like fish but I am really good at cutting them up! Who knew! I certainly didn't. So enough of bragging about myself and my mad skills with butchering! helpful tip time!!! Skin on fish, how do you get it off before you cook it and without taking off too much protein with it? Boning knives or any thin flexible knife work best. Start at a corner as flat as you can cut and have a clean kitchen towel with you. As you start cutting in a sawing motion take the towel and hold on to the skin with the towel. I know sounds logical and it really works well. There now you have something useful to use to make a better, tastier fish....I hope this information was worth catching ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment