Monday, March 21, 2011

Pluck a duck, butcher a chicken

Okay, so I must confess I didn't pluck a duck today...nor did I butcher a chicken. I was in bed most of the time today, trying to rest my back. Today was not the kind of day I wanted to have but I am resolved to keep this up-to-date and I did practise fabricating chickens yesterday so I thought I should still give my hopefully helpful tips. First of all, fabricating a chicken sounds complex and scary right??? Well everyone I am here to tell you be not afraid of such a word as fabricating is just a snobby cooking term for cutting a chicken into 2 to 8 pieces either semi-boneless or on the bone pieces. Its pretty easy and not very hard but you have to have a lot of hand strength (or a good pair of kitchen shears). Also, when fabricating its easier to cut the chicken into pieces skin side up, otherwise your chicken moves and you end up cutting yourself with a gross chicken germ-filled knife (do ya need to know what that involves?) Anyway, so after all this practise I decided two things. First, why the use of the word fabricate when all I am really doing is butchering. Second, why not just BUY the chicken fabricated in the first place! These are my thoughts on this weeks culinary lesson...Sorry if you didn't find it that thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment