Monday, March 7, 2011

The Mayo clinic

Today was sandwich day, I have been looking forward to this day because I LOVE sandwiches! I would eat them any time of day if I could...or do I??? Pizza is considered a sandwich by the way...sorry to burst your bubble but it falls under the classification. We made mayonnaise by hand today and let me give ya a bit of advise. Mayonnaise should not be made with olive oil unless you want the mayonnaise to be a stand out on the plate. Also, olive oil is expensive and I don't know about you but the cost of your mayonnaise will exceed that of what you can purchase so you end up not saving any money. The biggest difference between what you make and what comes in a jar is sweetness. Mayonnaise, I am sorry to say SHOULD NEVER BE SWEET! We are over sweetened in our condiments. I cannot wait till I can get my hands on a fresh from my garden beefsteak tomato put it in a sandwich and put some homemade mayonnaise on it...Saliva glands are working just fine at this point thank you very much!

So you might be thinking this is a hard process, if you have a stand mixer it is pretty easy to do but what do you do if the mixture breaks down and doesn't emulsify? Here is the answer. In a new clean bowl beat an egg yolk. Once that is almost frothy slowly add the broken mixture into the egg yolk and whip it like your life depended on it by hand with your wire whip (remember that tool in your kitchen is NOT a whisk, its a whip).

Now you have the secret to the kingdom...don't abuse your power, I will take it away. The good Debi giveth and I will certainly taketh away somehow. Today I was in a new team and leadership was well rather lame. Nothing can compare to a leader who wants to just do what he wants and not let others experience new things...this was my new frustration today and this will just be the bane of my life I think. It doesn't help that he is a favorite of chef because he is just a very friendly guy and easy to get along with. He just is a leader lacking in leadership skills...

Spring break is coming, it is way to soon, this means the semester is almost over and I will have to make my choice soon...to be go into the chef's apprenticeship program or to go into the bakery/pastry program. I thought I would have more time but isn't that how life goes? We think we will have all the time in the world to figure out the solution but life often demands that we make quick choices, we just have to pray that when we make these decisions that they are the right ones. I just have to remember that everything can be changed and probably will. If I go with the chef's apprenticeship program I can decide to go and study in the sister school in Florence, Italy. It costs $18,000 per year and I don't know if that would include my room and board. Well it just means its something else to pray about after I make up my mind...Life!

So, next food lab we are fabricating a chicken...this will be interesting! Chef told us today to go and buy 3-5 whole chickens and just practice. I am wondering if I ace this on my own then what challenge will I have to come to class? Anyway, If you want the recipe for mayonnaise let me know! Keep cooking and I will do the same!

1 comment:

  1. I just read a different blog post about homemade mayonnaise and they did do it with olive oil. I couldn't believe how bright yellow it looked! Looks like everybody's making their own, so I better try it now.

    Also, I totally agree that American palates are way too used to sweetened food. I started buying natural ketchup (meaning no preservatives, additives, or sweeteners) and is so much better than what I grew up eating. It tastes like tomatoes, for one thing. What a novel idea.

    Love your blog, Debi. You make me want to go to culinary school!

    ReplyDelete